Saturday, September 11, 2010

Humble Pie

So I wrote two essays for two scholarships a few weeks ago. Got an invitation to the scholarship night last night and thought- great!- I got one. Woohoo! Maybe my writing is not as bad as I thought. There was a lot more pride involved than just these thoughts, unfortunately.

So Khanh and I get all dressed up and head to my school. As they begin announcing the scholarships they give the first one I tried for to another student, "Good for her," I think... among other sad thoughts. Many more for "Excellence" are awarded. Then they come up to one ambiguously titled and say it is for a first year married student- not on merit, no essay required, nothing. My name is called and I sheepishly walk to the front to accept and take a picture. Then the other scholarship I applied for is given to another student and the ceremony ends.

I feel funny- the kind of funny when you have false pride rise up in you only to be smashed in a most appropriate way.

I am so grateful for my unmerited gift of money. I am also grateful for my lesson and the way it points me to the grace given me through Christ- unmerited/ something I can't possibly boast in. My job becomes active as I walk, if only sheepishly, to accept it.

Thanks Khanh for being married to me and yay for free money and grace!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Leslie, Kathy Callister here. I just wanted to say hi and a big congratulations to you! Ashley told me the good news! I am so excited for you. You will be a wonderful little mother. Will you be in Merced at Christmas? We would love to see you. As you may know, Ashley will be here. I'm sure that you girls would have a lot to talk about.

    ReplyDelete