Thursday, December 10, 2009

What happended to November?

I can answer the question with a few suggestions of where all the time went but it still somehow doesn't add up to me. Oh well. This is what we've been up to recently:
- Beginning of November flew by finishing up travel plans for my Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, NY tour. I also started work. More to come on that later.
- Khanh stayed home and worked for our family :) while my mom and I had fast fun in Chicago- for less than 24 hours- and Philadelphia- for a whole 42. We met up with a good friend of mine from high school and had sweet conversations and awesome Italian food.
- Then Mom flew home and K joined me in Boston at his sister's place, actually in Worcester, for a great weekend filled with family time, furry kitties and lots of yummy Vietnamese cuisine.
- After Boston we headed to NY and stayed with an old roommate of mine which was so great. She has an awesome place and was incredibly hospitable.
- Schools seen: ICO, PCO, NECO, SUNY
- I enjoyed exploring the different schools and was only not impressed with one. I think I had somewhat of a personality conflict with the culture of the school and also felt attacked during the interview. Oh well. I won't say which school it was but seriously I've never had big dreams of any big apples.

Work is going well enough for both of us. I am enjoying settling into the classroom setting with the other aides and teacher. The kids have their good and bad days. The little boy I work with is mostly wonderful- except when he tries to bite me. Poop, spit and earwax as well as taking kicks and punches are all a part of the daily routine. I'll have to start remembering some of the more funny things I come across to share.

The only entertaining thing I can think of at the moment is an instance in the preschool Sunday class last week. We were talking with the three little boys that day about Mary receiving the message about her pregnancy from the angel Gabriel. When we asked what it means to be pregnant one little boy said, super matter of fact, "It means to help save little animals." I couldn't help but giggle. Where in the world? Another little boy whose mom is currently pregnant said, "No, it is when you have to go to the doctor because you have a baby in your stomach." That will do.

December is a little bit more relaxed for us so far but we're getting excited to have some time off too. The weekly grind is sometimes more draining then having a cross- country travel. We're headed to a few more places in late January- Oregon for me, then North Carolina- Duke- for K.

One other thing we're enjoying right now- reading The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan. It is a great read if you have the patience and can really get into the olde English :) We're enjoying this classic so far. Highly recommend it! But you may not want to take our word on that- we're also currently watching an old Jackie Chan film called Drunken Master. One hulu.com comment reads "How can it be so bad and yet so good." I agree. It's ridiculous yet very entertaining.

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog- keep it up! We are voting that you guys come to Chicago for school!

    ReplyDelete